Saturday, April 29, 2006

Lawn, aeration and settling of

I poked holes in some areas of my front lawn. It's supposed to help, though I have no idea to what extent. And that work is quite slow. It literally takes hours to cover an area of 30 ft by 10 ft. This has a lot to do with the weight of an average human. I would not be able to drive a wider tool into the ground, so I have to scan the lawn in pitifully narrow strips, about 10 inches wide.

While I was at it, I could not help noticing that the lawn settles. It is now about 2 inches lower than the driveway surface, while it was level just four years ago. It stands to reason that all the mass which I dump into the garden waste bin every two weeks has to come from somewhere. And that somewhere is the ground. Of course, grass captures some of carbon from the air with the process of photosynthesis. But it's not much. And then three's nitrogen. I do not spread anywhere as much fertilizer to compnesate for the loss. So the lawn surface recedes continuously.

This got me thinking if they sell any sand-like mineral mix which I could spread to make the ground higher. Or do I have no other way than ripping all the topsoil and replacing the lawn afresh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home