Friday, October 27, 2006

City Pride for Fall 2006

I received the City Pride with a bill, and the leading article talks about the downtown revitalization. To quote:
FTB [the design consultant] is led by the renowned Michael Freedman who has achieved tremendous success in many cities including Livermore, Lodi, Mountain View, and Redwood City.


This seems like a good time to reiterate just how much I despise the renovation of Livermore. If that is the model, I am not going to be happy.

I work right in the middle of "revitalized" Mountain View. There, it is not such a big issue, because they did not purposefuly design the project to make people hopping mad. I wouldn't say that Castro Street is such a great place. It's rather overrated actually, as I found out when trying to have lunch.

Plaza
(the image is from Brian's post about the strange loan program the City is running).

The article in City Pride has a sketch, which shows a San Jose type of plaza with trees going across the Central in front of Magellan. It doesn't look bad, but I have to wonder what happened to those condos which Surland was going to build there. The article says that I'm mistaken and the condos always were going to built south of the tracks. Maybe so.

Not a word is written about the plan to pay for the project.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home