Saturday, October 07, 2006

iPod battery

Tracy Today ran an article about a local guy who fixes iPods. It was a little misleading, claiming that "Apple charges $250 no matter if a repair is a new battery or extensive restoration." Knowing Apple, I would not be surprised if RMA-ing an iPod would be that much. However, I was quoted $59 for a battery replacement on my 3G by an Apple Store in Dublin (in Stoneridge Mall). It is still more expensive than the $20 mentioned in the article, although I can't help asking if the new battery is as good as the one it replaces.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amadeo said...

Given that the battery is the most likely part to get spent, I read somewhere that the next generation will have detachable and replacable batteries.

Hard drives may be more hardy and longer-lasting.

I now have two of the older ones, both monochrome, one 15gig and the other 20gig, both handed down to me by my daughter. And they still both work, mainly as storage for my many MP3s.

This advertised service may come in handy soon.

I wonder what he actually does.

Replace batteries?

Recover from crashed drives?

6:32 AM  
Blogger ザイツェヴ said...

I've read on a friend's journal that most batteries die very unevenly. So, only one tablet goes bad. If your time costs you nothing, you can easily "repair" batteries by opening them up and replacing little discs with similar ones. However, the tablets have to match the rest of the battery very precisely, or they'll die quickly again duing the recharge cycle. This may be how he gets "new" batteries, because I suspect that Apple won't sell the replacement batteries cheap enough to sustain the $20 end price. We may never know though.

Crashed drives are not possible to recover anymore. I think the last time it was done without a clean room before magneto-resistive heads became commonplace. I had a friend who repaired 40MB ST-157s and such.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home