Friday, May 11, 2007

Grumpy home networker, cont.

I finished routing the network to the TiVO and took a few pictures.

How the hole in the top 2x4 was made (I don't have an electric drill):



Then, the cable was run through the hole down the hollow wall:



I cut a hole in the drywall and pulled the cable out, snapped a Keystone socket on it:



Finally, I closed up the hole with a Keystone plate:



My ancient enterainment stack looks like this:



The yellow cable is the network.

Mounting Keystone plates is exceedingly tricky, because the distance between screws and the opening in the drywall is very small. One wrong move and the screw won't hold. I have no idea how professionals do it. A glue? The plate comes with two bolt-like screws, so perhaps there's something like a back retainer which clamps onto the drywall from the back, and the screws go into that.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amadeo said...

I guess you did not use a surface mount block or box to terminate the connection.

It would have meant a smaller entry hole.

12:11 PM  
Blogger ザイツェヴ said...

I thought about a square sticking out socket, but in the end it may preclude a cabinet from being moved to that location. Probably not an unsolvable problem, but...

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home